[linux-elitists] Groupware servers

Jon Carnes jonc@nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 27 15:48:55 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 18:12, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> A friend of mine has a problem, at his office, they're slowly migrating
> from Windows to GNU/Linux on the desktops. He needs a groupware server
> that does shared calendars and mail, and that works with Outlook. The
> people who are still using outlook need that to work seamlessly until
> they're migrated, which won't happen in the very short term.
>
> He looked at SuSE's OpenExchange Server, but that installs a plugin for
> Outlook, and works like POP, in that it moves mail to the local folders
> instead of accessing them over the network. This is unacceptable for
> him, so he's looking for something better.
>
> So, are there free or reasonably priced proprietary MAPI servers that
> preferably also do IMAP and iCal/WebCal for non-Outlook clients, and
> that runs on Linux? Googling turns up very little.

We setup some stuff recently using Mozilla's calendar and WebDAV to
share it.  Works pretty good, but not the same as Outlook/Exchange. If
you google for webDAV and then follow the links to the home page for DAV
you'll see a link to an article for setting up the shared Calendar.

I've setup OpenExchange and used Evolution with the connector (not free,
but very cheap), that worked fine and most users found it to be
intuitive.

Jon Carnes