[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 27 03:28:01 PST 2004

Correcting myself:

> 1.  Although the 1U might have no room inside for a second hard drive,
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> there's no reason you cannot dangle one outside on a long-ish ribbon
> cable just long enough to complete installation.
>
> 2.  Many 1U boxes will support PXE boot (etc.), which you can use to do
> network installation without an additional local hard drive.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Er, I think I meant "ATAPI CD drive".  Was rushing through that, sorry!

Don't forget, also, the traditional option of last resort we used to use
for, say, second-generation Sony VAIOs with USB floppy drives and no CD
drives, back in the days before Linux comfortably supported USB
floppies:  Extract hard drive from problem box, mount it temporarily in
a nice, spacious desktop box, install Linux distribution of choice, move
the hard drive back, re-do LILO using a floppy.

--
Cheers,                             * Contributing Editor, Linux Gazette *
Rick Moen                       -*- See the Linux Gazette in its new home: -*-