[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue Jan 27 02:38:04 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 02:28:41AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> My bitsy 32MB flash drive is too small for Flonix, but still can boot a
> Debian installation kernel, drivers, and installer RAMdisk, with the
> base system fetchable onto target systems via http.  Hasn't been needed
> yet, but it's nice to have.  http://d-i.pascal.at/

I'm soon to need a 1U NAS box for backup at a host.
I'd like to use 3 SATA Drives (server-grade disks) in a soft-RAID
3, and boot a minimal Linux from an EIDE flash dongle -- there's no place for
more disks in an 1U enclosure.

Since you're tracking SATA for Linux, are you aware of any minimal Linux
distros which would fit a flash (256 MB? 512 MB?), and support SATA soft RAID
out of the box?

Thanks much.