[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 27 02:28:41 PST 2004

Quoting Jim Richardson (warlock@eskimo.com):

> Pretty much. I've taken to carrying a USB keydrive, (128MB) with 64MB of
> it for storage of data, and 64MB for a Flonix install, and "Damn Small
> Linux" CD which fits in my wallet.

Small preference here (when booting from CD media) for Damn Small Linux:
It's quite a livable system.  Of course, Flonix reportedly excels with
flash media.

> The keydrive of course, goes on the keychain. SSH keys, (with
> passphrases I have memorised) and info go on the Keydrive.

Info should include known_hosts2, don't forget.

My bitsy 32MB flash drive is too small for Flonix, but still can boot a
Debian installation kernel, drivers, and installer RAMdisk, with the
base system fetchable onto target systems via http.  Hasn't been needed
yet, but it's nice to have.  http://d-i.pascal.at/

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!