[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Jan 26 11:29:19 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:24:29AM -0800, Jason Spence wrote:

> Yes, that's correct.  All you need is a RAMDAC with dual outputs and a
> control interface that supports whatever you want to do with those
> outputs.

Things have picked up a bit since Sutherland. An LCD or DMD or OLED
has logic in it, there's soon no longer need to render stuff from
framebuffer: framebuffer could render itself. You can already have that, if
you consider a DMD as a SRAM. You could render very well via PWM, synching
RGB LED flashes with block copies.

I think this will happen first with OLED displays, because here each bit can
drive a primary color. But with semiconductors you can put 3d acceleration
onboard, and directly talk to the display via a high-speed connection.