[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Mon Jan 26 10:26:44 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:27:22AM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:

> >> I said I dropped it.  Since it didn't break, I didn't buy it ;-)
> >
> >Right, but the iPod runs linux now.  Why not just plug it into the
> >fireware port on the local PC (yea, I know), and get to your files via
> >IP (iSCSI, SMB, NFS, whatever).
> >
> >Someday all these mobos will support booting from a firewire drive,
> >and then the carry-the-livecd crap will be history.
> >

> Perhaps, but given the number of old P-I/II machines I still see in
> offices everywhere, a BBC CD is worth carrying, and will be for a very
> long time.

Better yet, a floppy with a netboot enabled grub and access to a
network connection so you can boot into a full-blown OS via NFS.
Extra points if you go over the Internet to get to the NFS server.

--
 - Jason
I'm a Lisp variable -- bind me!