[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Mon Jan 26 09:27:22 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:44:41AM -0800, Jim Thompson wrote:

>Karsten M. Self writes:
>
>> > Ya got Firewire on the damned thing.   Running IP over Firewire is
>> > straight-forward.  Sounds like yer iPod needs a net connection.  (mine
>> > too.)
>>
>> I said I dropped it.  Since it didn't break, I didn't buy it ;-)
>
>Right, but the iPod runs linux now.  Why not just plug it into the
>fireware port on the local PC (yea, I know), and get to your files via
>IP (iSCSI, SMB, NFS, whatever).
>
>Someday all these mobos will support booting from a firewire drive,
>and then the carry-the-livecd crap will be history.

Perhaps, but given the number of old P-I/II machines I still see in
offices everywhere, a BBC CD is worth carrying, and will be for a very
long time.

All life is a conjugation of the verb "to eat"