[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Mon Jan 26 08:54:59 PST 2004

On Monday, January 26, 2004 Ben Woodard wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 15:45, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> > > On Sunday, January 25, 2004 Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> > >begin Larry M. Augustin  quotation:
> > >
> > >	What would increase the 'leetness is if the box could address
> > >both internal and external displays separately.
> >
> > Are there any laptops that can do that?  Seems like you would need two
> > framebuffers, which pretty much means two gpus.
>
> Mac laptops have been able to do it for at least a decade. I don't know
> about new stuff but the powerbook that I had back at Cisco when I first
> started there 1995.
>
> The neomagic 256AV in the Toshiba 2100CT that you bought me when I was
> back at VA could theoretically do it, though I never bothered to
> actually rewrite the X driver to make it actually work.

Ah.  I think that I see my confusion.  Nick, what did you mean by "address
both internal and external displays separately"?  One framebuffer displayed
on both displays simultaneously?  One large framebuffer split between the
two displays?  Two independent framebuffers?

In any event, I will learn more about the graphics capabilities of the
device and report back.

Larry