[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Ben Woodard woodard@redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 07:55:15 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 15:45, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 25, 2004 Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> >begin Larry M. Augustin  quotation:
> >> See www.oqo.com.  It's a full PC in a form factor that's close to
> >> PDA sized.  It plugs into a docking station that allows it to
> >> function as a desktop computer.
> >
> >	What would increase the 'leetness is if the box could address
> >both internal and external displays separately.
>
> Are there any laptops that can do that?  Seems like you would need two
> framebuffers, which pretty much means two gpus.

Mac laptops have been able to do it for at least a decade. I don't know
about new stuff but the powerbook that I had back at Cisco when I first
started there 1995.

The neomagic 256AV in the Toshiba 2100CT that you bought me when I was
back at VA could theoretically do it, though I never bothered to
actually rewrite the X driver to make it actually work.

According to one of the X guys that came over in the Precision Insight
aqusition I talked to at one point, evidently making a GPU which can
drive two displays is really not that hard since very little of the
circuitry in the GPU is actually associated with generating the video
signal. I know that this is a terrible oversimplification but the way
that it was said to me was something like, "It is just a couple of
timers and oscillators." The tricky bit and why you don't see it done
more is that they are sharing video memory bandwidth and all the other
circuitry that actually converts the high level commands into bits that
go into that video memory. Since the gamers are obsessed by frame rates
that is what the market produces.

What I would like to see is a graphics card that will drive 4-8
displays. I wouldn't care if it was 1/8th as fast when doing this since
xterms do not need that much speed but screen real estate is very nice.