[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Jan 26 02:44:59 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:25:22AM -0800, Jim Thompson wrote:
> (iPods come in 40GB models now.)

Wearables (x86 and ARM based) have been having that for years, using laptop
drives. One project that is still more or less active is MIThril:
http://www.media.mit.edu/wearables/mithril/

The only cheap way to have a decent display are head-up displays, and the
field has not developed well since the Private Eye display. Right now you pay
somewhere 700 to 3000 EUR for a 800x600 HMD, and it's pretty bulky.

Lightweight OLED prototypes exist, but nothing on the market yet. I reckon it
will take years, and the onset will be very landslide-like.

> > The next question is:  where do you put the processor?  You can put it
> > onboard, and treat the unit as autonomous, or you can use an offboard
> > processor, and treat the unit as mobile storage (hybrid middle grounds
> > are also possible).  Modulo speed, either achieves the goal of mobile
> > computing, though self-sufficiency calls for onboard capabilities.
>
> Ya got Firewire on the damned thing.   Running IP over Firewire is
> straight-forward.  Sounds like yer iPod needs a net connection.  (mine
> too.)

IEEE 1394 streams fine, but has setup latencies in ~ms and higher. I don't
see how one would need more than IEEE 802.11x (perhaps with proprietary
tweaks, which bring throughput to about half of wired Ethernet, on short distances) to
sync and transfer files to the home server.