[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Jim Thompson jim@netgate.com
Mon Jan 26 02:44:41 PST 2004

Karsten M. Self writes:

> > Ya got Firewire on the damned thing.   Running IP over Firewire is
> > straight-forward.  Sounds like yer iPod needs a net connection.  (mine
> > too.)
>
> I said I dropped it.  Since it didn't break, I didn't buy it ;-)

Right, but the iPod runs linux now.  Why not just plug it into the
fireware port on the local PC (yea, I know), and get to your files via
IP (iSCSI, SMB, NFS, whatever).

Someday all these mobos will support booting from a firewire drive,
and then the carry-the-livecd crap will be history.

--
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
			-- Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)