[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Jim Thompson jim@netgate.com
Mon Jan 26 02:25:22 PST 2004

Karsten M. Self writes:

> As Apple's demonstrated very convincingly, it's trivial to drop 20+ GiB
> into a shirt pocket.  And as I demonstrated at the Palo Alto store, even
> after a couple of 5' drops to hardwood floor, the damned thing still
> works.

(iPods come in 40GB models now.)

> The next question is:  where do you put the processor?  You can put it
> onboard, and treat the unit as autonomous, or you can use an offboard
> processor, and treat the unit as mobile storage (hybrid middle grounds
> are also possible).  Modulo speed, either achieves the goal of mobile
> computing, though self-sufficiency calls for onboard capabilities.

Ya got Firewire on the damned thing.   Running IP over Firewire is
straight-forward.  Sounds like yer iPod needs a net connection.  (mine
too.)

--
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
			-- Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)