[linux-elitists] Stable distro kernel rant

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 25 18:13:41 PST 2004

Quoting Jason Spence (jspence@lightconsulting.com):

> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 11:59:22AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > > Remember what started this thread?  Someone complained that their kernel
> > > did not support their latest devices.  These devices weren't even
> > > available when the 2.4.18 kernel was released.  So how that person
> > > expected their 2 year old kernel to support their month old device is
> > > beyond me...
> >
> Actually, Adam was looking for hardware and I was bitching about
> out-of-the-box distribution support for said hardware.

I believe you accidentally snipped Greg KH's attribution line, in the
above.

> Some people made very convincing arguments that running development
> kernels may not be such a bad thing, and that the dip may not have
> been so bad this release cycle....

Indeed, generalising from the plainly broken situation that gave rise to
early 2.4.x kernels would (obviously) be dumb.

> ...so running the bleeding-edge may be a valid solution to this
> problem for many people.

Maybe it's just me, but calling 2.4.24 "bleeding edge" strikes me as
exaggeration to the point of polemics.

> The thing I was complaining about was not that it was impossible to
> run more recent kernels on debian-stable or another branch lacking the
> latest kernel package in its pool, but rather that porting the
> packages may be an excessive overhead for one site that I maintain.
> The fact that make-kpkg isn't exactly the friendliest tool in the
> world also increases the difficulty of the task.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this.  Are you perhaps trying to pull
our legs?  Compiling a kernel using only the kernel tarball and its
README isn't really brain-surgery, and make-kpkg makes that slightly
more automated and easier (as well as inserting a entry into the package
database) -- but I suppose you could do without that creature-comfort if
for some bizarre reason you found it too difficult.

--
Cheers,              "By reading this sentence, you agree to be bound by the
Rick Moen             terms of the Internet Protocol, version 4, or, at your