[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sun Jan 25 16:34:46 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 07:08:02AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>One of the points I made in recent desktop discussions was that computer
>platforms in the near future may emphasize portability over performance
>-- my ideal platform would fit in my pocket, yet support a display and
>keyboard when at a workstation.
>
>Behold:
>
>    Turn a Handheld into a Desktop with Blue Dock
>    By Ed Hardy | Editor-in-Chief
>    Jan 22, 2004
>    http://brighthand.com/article/Synosphere_Developing_Blue_Dock
>
>    Synosphere is currently developing the Blue Dock, a docking station
>    to allow a handheld to function as a desktop computer.
>
>    Blue Dock Once a handheld has been placed in the Blue Dock, the user
>    will be able to create, modify, and edit data on a full sized
>    monitor using a full size keyboard and mouse. Users will have access
>    to email, the Web, and network resources -- including file servers,
>    printers, and other shared workstations.
>

>Current model iPaqs pack more punch than the system currently serving as
>a footrest (and nameserver) under my desk.

For $250 I can buy a cheap off the rack whitetbox computer. With 10-20GB
of storage to boot.

I'd rather use the handheld with some sort of ubiquitous wireless networking,
bluetooth, irda, or 802.11 (or all of the above) and the ability to
transfer data back and forth seamlessly.

A small 20-240GB HD, with bluetooth/802.11 and a battery or wallwart,
would be nice.

Sufficiently advanced political correctness is indistinguishable from
sarcasm

-- Erik Naggum