[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 25 07:08:02 PST 2004

One of the points I made in recent desktop discussions was that computer
platforms in the near future may emphasize portability over performance
-- my ideal platform would fit in my pocket, yet support a display and
keyboard when at a workstation.

Behold:

    Turn a Handheld into a Desktop with Blue Dock
    By Ed Hardy | Editor-in-Chief
    Jan 22, 2004
    http://brighthand.com/article/Synosphere_Developing_Blue_Dock

    Synosphere is currently developing the Blue Dock, a docking station
    to allow a handheld to function as a desktop computer.

    Blue Dock Once a handheld has been placed in the Blue Dock, the user
    will be able to create, modify, and edit data on a full sized
    monitor using a full size keyboard and mouse. Users will have access
    to email, the Web, and network resources -- including file servers,
    printers, and other shared workstations.

Current model iPaqs pack more punch than the system currently serving as
a footrest (and nameserver) under my desk.

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/