[linux-elitists] Stable distro kernel rant

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 24 11:59:22 PST 2004

Greg, I really do appreciate the thoughtful (and comprehensive)
response.  As mentioned, I personally don't run those aging kernels,
backported fixes or not -- for pretty much the same reasons you
wouldn't.

Perhaps the developers in the case discussed place a premium on working
with the known characteristics of familiar code, thus making isolation
of problems easier.  I wouldn't know.  What I do know is that nothing at
all prevents those users from retrieving and using newer kernels.

Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):

> Remember what started this thread?  Someone complained that their kernel
> did not support their latest devices.  These devices weren't even
> available when the 2.4.18 kernel was released.  So how that person
> expected their 2 year old kernel to support their month old device is
> beyond me...

Well, it pretty much begged for the "Well, don't do that, then" response
that he got.  (I entered the discussion merely to point out that _no_
Debian branch is, in fact, welded to any obsolete kernel, and that the
poster would do well to quit behaving as if his hands were broken.)

On the other hand (echoing one of your points), I'm personally
collecting information on netinst installers for Debian with modern
kernels, because of the burgeoning problem of systems shipped with only
serial ATA mass storage.  An installer using either 2.6.1 or 2.4.4
w/libata patch would be really handy, about now.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!