[linux-elitists] Laptop that doesn't suck?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 23 23:40:41 PST 2004

Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):

> > Still scared?
>
> Very much so.  Nothing like backporting fixes to a kernel base that is
> almost 2 years old (looks like 2.4.18 came out in Feb 2002) to cause
> major headaches.

And yet, oddly, they keep doing that in the apparent belief that it's
the easiest and most effective way to maintain systems constructed on it.
I suppose they could be dead wrong; they've only been at this eight
years or so.

How long have you maintained a major Linux distribution, by the way
(just for comparison's sake)?

> And saying that Linux doesn't support new devices, yet continuing to run
> such an old kernel gets no sympathy from me.

Indeed, *I* wouldn't run that kernel, even if I were still interested in
Debian-stable.  That's what make-kpkg is for.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                        This space for rant.