[linux-elitists] Laptop that doesn't suck?

Dave Barry dave@mikamyla.com
Fri Jan 23 17:44:29 PST 2004

Quothe Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>, on Fri, Jan 23, 2004:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:33:12AM -0800, Jason Spence wrote:
> > Which laptop is this?  The iBook?  How does that work?  I thought that
> > the journal commit every 5 seconds prevented any kind of hard drive
> > power management from working...
>
> I tweaked something somewhere that made this work, sorry for not
> remembering it, it was a while ago...

If you mount your ext3 filesystems with the noatime option, this will
significantly lighten the disk activity.  Combine that with reduced
verbosity from syslog, and your disk should spin down quite nicely.

--
Silence is the voice of complicity.