[linux-elitists] Laptop that doesn't suck?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri Jan 23 17:01:41 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:33:12AM -0800, Jason Spence wrote:

> I'm running stable with 2.4.18, which doesn't cause all the machines
> to suck down and upgrade dozens of packages every time I do an update
> :)

2.4.18 has so many security holes, and is so old...  that's just
scary...

> > > Well, the thing about ext3 is that it keeps the hard disk active all
> > > the time :) It's a big power drain to keep my 40GB driver spinning the
> > > entire time I have the laptop on.  I've heard anecdotal reports that
> > > xfs and/or jfs don't do that; are those the journalling filesystems
> > > you're referring to?
> >
> > I use ext3 and have a laptop with very good power saving support :)
>
> And it doesn't keep the thing spun up the whole time?

It is spun up while I'm doing work.  It spins down after a while if
nothing is going on.

> Which laptop is this?  The iBook?  How does that work?  I thought that
> the journal commit every 5 seconds prevented any kind of hard drive
> power management from working...

I tweaked something somewhere that made this work, sorry for not
remembering it, it was a while ago...

Oh, it's a fujitsu P2120, with a transmeta chip in it.  Very long
battery life.

> > > captive
> > > zapata
> >
> > What are these two?  Haven't heard of them before.
>
> captive allows you to use the native Win32 ntfs.sys driver to access
> your NTFS partitions from within Linux.  It's basically a partial
> Win32 kernel emulation layer.

Ick, that's just scary.  You deserve whatever you get when using such
code...

> zapata is a telephony subsystem necessary to run asterisk, an open
> source telephony application.

They should not have any problems fixing their drivers, I haven't seen
any questions asking for help on the linux-kernel list from their
developers.

> I can see how that would be an annoying situation for you.  You might
> want to go to one of the 3-D developer conferences and meet some
> NVidia engineers, which would allow you to have a more open dialogue
> with the people that do the Linux driver development.

I don't mean to be rude, but why should I have to go seek them out?
They know exactly where I am, and how to contact me.  Just look in the
kernel MAINTAINER file.  They should be trying to build relationships
with the kernel developers, it's not my job to try to go out of my way
to help out a closed source company who does not give anything back to
the community.  Why would I want to?

thanks,

greg k-h