[linux-elitists] Laptop that doesn't suck?

Ben Woodard ben@zork.net
Thu Jan 22 11:57:31 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 17:41, Jason Spence wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:20:49PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> > On 19 Jan 2004, Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org> wrote:
> > > begin Greg KH quotation of Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 02:05:20PM -0800:

> > > I asked them about this, and the answer is basically that they know
> > > there are a hell of a lot of graphics patents out there, hardware
> > > and software, valid and invalid, and if they published driver source
> > > it would make it easier for a patent holder to make a case, bogus
> > > or not, against them.
> >
> > I wonder what happens in this MAD scenario when one of the companies
> > has nothing left to lose?  Suppose one of the vendors goes (nearly)
> > broke, and their patent portfolio is acquired by an unscrupulous Utah
> > investment company?
> >
> > Opposing patents are no longer a strong deterrent if the litigant
> > doesn't sell products anymore.
>
> That's a good point.  What happens if SGI loses all their juicy
> Hollywood contracts and, having nothing left to lose, pulls a SCO?
> Perhaps we should all demand SGI workstations at our sites :)

Gees that is a scary point I hadn't thought all the way through yet.

What does it say in the ancient art of war, Paraphrasing heavily (it has
been a LONG time and I've read SO MANY eastern philosophy books since
then):

"Beware of an enemy that doesn't have anything left to loose." (The
inference is that nothing matters anymore and so he's much less rational
and more determined.)

"Never grind you enemy until he has nothing left to loose. For he will
not hesitate in the face of danger."