[linux-elitists] Re: are cursed IPs contagious?

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Jan 22 10:40:50 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:09:58PM -0500, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> If your 'remailer' (?) is using confirmed opt-in or is otherwise
> guaranteed not to be forwarding spam, then you're cool.

Spammers do use anonymous remailers, though probably not too many (not too
many know how to create a properly formattted message).
There's a valid abuse address and a simple method to block
(block-destination) to prevent harassment from that egress point, though
that's opt-out.

I haven't looked at what gets delivered, but there's been a high worm/virus
load on the address, which imo was clearly malicious in intent. I blocked all
Windows executables at MTA level, and the problem has gone away.

> If you act on abuse complaints, you'll probably stay off blocklists,
> though every administrator has different rules.

I don't mind if the second IP gets blacklisted. It's in the nature of the
thing. What I'm wondering is whether there's a way of telling that the IP is
bound to an interface also hosting another IP.

> If you actually are spamming, and you continue -- or, more to the
> point, if the blocklist maintainers *believe* you are spamming -- your
> listing will likely escalate quickly to include not only yourself but
> also other people using the IP blocks belonging to your ISP; at that
> point your ISP, having failed to eject a known spammer, will have
> become a spam-support operation.

We'll see as this goes, I can always go middleman. I just got tired of
visible load on my ADSL line, which is in DUL anyway.