[linux-elitists] Re: are cursed IPs contagious?

Chip Salzenberg chip@pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 09:09:58 PST 2004

According to Eugen Leitl:
> Assuming I run a remailer on another instance of postfix bound to
> another IP on the same eth0 which is bound to wind up in diverse
> RBLs, can my primary IP get hit by friendly fire?

Caveat: Every admin can and does block based on his own rules, phase
of the moon, and whether he got laid the night before.  "My system, my
rules."  So there's little gain in trying to game blocklist rules.

If your 'remailer' (?) is using confirmed opt-in or is otherwise
guaranteed not to be forwarding spam, then you're cool.

If you act on abuse complaints, you'll probably stay off blocklists,
though every administrator has different rules.

If you actually are spamming, and you continue -- or, more to the
point, if the blocklist maintainers *believe* you are spamming -- your
listing will likely escalate quickly to include not only yourself but
also other people using the IP blocks belonging to your ISP; at that
point your ISP, having failed to eject a known spammer, will have
become a spam-support operation.
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -               <chip@pobox.com>