[linux-elitists] are cursed IPs contagious?

Jamie Lawrence zgp-org@jal.org
Thu Jan 22 08:54:26 PST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> It's a bit obscure problem; I figured people here would knew.
>
> Assuming I run a remailer on another instance of postfix bound to another IP
> on the same eth0 which is bound to wind up in diverse RBLs, can my primary IP
> get hit by friendly fire?
>
> I don't see how, but then I don't know how IPs wind up in RBLs.

A lot of BLs, when identifying spam from one IP, will blacklist a range
of IPs surrounding that IP. This has happened to us a couple of times -
someone in the same class B is hit by a spam worm, our company starts
showing up on SPEWS and company. The late LNE.com Cypherpunks node did
something similar - I was blocked once until I talked to Eric about it.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
"People should be allowed to keep midgets as pets."