[linux-elitists] WindowManagers

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Thu Jan 22 08:39:24 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 04:14:37AM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:24:21PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> ><quote who="Peter Whysall">
> >>What's the accepted nomenclature for these things? I know "applet" is
> >>verboten in the docs, but I'm at a loss as to what to call them instead.
> >>Tools? Accessories? Thingers?
> >
> >Yeah, "applet", which is a bogus name, brought up all the way back in Sun's
> >first usability test. If you think of a k-rad name, let me know. ;-)
>
> cantrips
>
> bit obscure perhaps, but I like it. :)

I stumbled across this when looking at some of the usage
patterns for the Commonly Used Open Group Trademark Which Shall
Not Be Named, and remembered this thread.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch11s06.html#id2957916

   This interface design pattern, though fairly common, has not
   traditionally been named; the term #cantrip# is my invention.
   (In origin, it's a Scots-dialect word for a magic spell,
   which has been picked up by a popular fantasy-role-playing
   game to tag a spell that can be cast instantly, with minimal
   or no preparation.)

--Joe