[linux-elitists] GNOME review

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Wed Jan 21 20:57:03 PST 2004

OK. I have been using GNOME for over a week now. Couple of notes.

No X crashes since getting rid of evdebug, have also switched to 2.6.1
kernel, and changed X priority to 0 from -10. Any or all of these may be
relevent to that.

Why can't I change the tab name in a gnome terminal by dbl clicking or
rt clicking on the tab? (Like KDE:)

GNOME terminal's handling of urls is nice, but only if you're using
GNOME terminal. I prefer KDE's klipper approach.

GNOME is noticably slow on a machine with 512MB of RAM and a 1GHz
processor, menus take too long to pop up. That's the biggest annoyence
speed wise.

GNOME terminal is a real heavyweight in the mem requirements dept. I
currently have on GNOME terminal with 4 tabs open, and it's holding 22MB
of mem, with 13MB of it shared. Sorry, that's kinda bad.

Startup of GNOME is slow. Not that I need to start it up often, but
annoying none the less.

Adding things to the panel, is a bit roundabout, and the menu's aren't
very well organized.

GNOME help seems quite bloated, although I do like the integration with
the man pages, and info files.  But 22+MB for it?

Mounting a CD within nautilus seems to forever doom that mount to be
there, 'till reboot. That's somewhat annoying...

I am used to, I *like* lmb select, mmb paste, why can't this be
integrated into the url grabbing thing in GNOME terminal? It's really
anoying to have to stop, and think "gee, did I highlight that? or rt
click select? hm... <MMB paste> nope, guess I rt click selected it, now,
I have to ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H to get ride of the thing I just pasted in,
which isn't what I wanted this time, but I don't want to LMB select and
<del> it because it may screw up the thing I *want* to paste in....

Ouch, sorry, on the useability front, this bites.

On the plus side,

I like some of GNOME terminal, tabbed terminals are very useful

(GNOME terminal's poor relationship with screen is a bit souring though. )

Most things do "just work" no, this isn't a snide comment.

GNOME panel is nice, although doens't deal gracefully with the vertical
position, nor with font size changes. (I have a 1600x1200 15in screen, I
like the fonts a tad larger than the std.)

Overall, not bad, warts and all. Except for the early two crashes of X,
(which may well have had absolutely nothing to do with GNOME at all)
GNOME has been stable, I have lost no data, nor have I been rendered
into a screaming zombie with death breath from lack of sleep, like XP
tends to drive me to. In fact, mostly, it just works. Most of the
settings I thought I'd miss, I either didn't, or I found other ways
around, or I just sucked it up and ignored them.

There's still a lot of work to do on intefacing, but it's better than
GNOME 1, but my biggest beef was with speed of menues and other things.
It's not even consistant. Right now, the menues are nice and snappy, yet
earlier, it was like they were being grown from a cell sample or
something, and it's not load on the system related, although it does
suffer from the slow IDE system on this laptop from time to time, but I
won't hold that against it.

I'll probably switch back to WindowMaker, although amusingly enough,
there will be some things I miss from GNOME there. Like the cmd runner,
(alt-f2) which is a lot more versatile than the skimpy one I have with
WindowMaker.

But before I return to the clip and the dock, I think I'll try KDE for a
while and whine about that for a bit...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change ready.