[linux-elitists] Laptop that doesn't suck?

Wed Jan 21 17:41:22 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:20:49PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2004, Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org> wrote:
> > begin Greg KH quotation of Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 02:05:20PM -0800:
> >
> > > You are saying that NVidia has code that infringes on another company's
> > > IP in their closed source module?  Oh, that makes me feel even better...
> >
> > I asked them about this, and the answer is basically that they know
> > there are a hell of a lot of graphics patents out there, hardware
> > and software, valid and invalid, and if they published driver source
> > it would make it easier for a patent holder to make a case, bogus
> > or not, against them.
>
> I wonder what happens in this MAD scenario when one of the companies
> has nothing left to lose?  Suppose one of the vendors goes (nearly)
> broke, and their patent portfolio is acquired by an unscrupulous Utah
> investment company?
>
> Opposing patents are no longer a strong deterrent if the litigant
> doesn't sell products anymore.

That's a good point.  What happens if SGI loses all their juicy
Hollywood contracts and, having nothing left to lose, pulls a SCO?
Perhaps we should all demand SGI workstations at our sites :)

--
 - Jason              Last known location:  1.2 miles southeast of Fremont, CA

That secret you've been guarding, isn't.