[linux-elitists] Laptop that doesn't suck?

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Wed Jan 21 17:20:49 PST 2004

On 19 Jan 2004, Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org> wrote:
> begin Greg KH quotation of Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 02:05:20PM -0800:
>
> > You are saying that NVidia has code that infringes on another company's
> > IP in their closed source module?  Oh, that makes me feel even better...
>
> I asked them about this, and the answer is basically that they know
> there are a hell of a lot of graphics patents out there, hardware
> and software, valid and invalid, and if they published driver source
> it would make it easier for a patent holder to make a case, bogus
> or not, against them.

I wonder what happens in this MAD scenario when one of the companies
has nothing left to lose?  Suppose one of the vendors goes (nearly)
broke, and their patent portfolio is acquired by an unscrupulous Utah
investment company?

Opposing patents are no longer a strong deterrent if the litigant
doesn't sell products anymore.

--
Martin