[linux-elitists] Laptop that doesn't suck?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Jan 19 16:20:21 PST 2004

begin Jason Spence quotation of Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 02:50:18PM -0800:

> *boggle* Linux doesn't work like that; there's just too many
> distributions.  Some vendors provided support for a specific
> distribution and version of Linux in 2000-2001, but that seems to be
> over with now.  Most vendors want you to purchase annual contract
> support for a whole bunch of laptops before they'll commit to
> supporting Linux on their machines for you.

emperorlinux.com will preload and support Linux on a variety of
major-brand laptops, though they don't yet order in large enough
quantities to get you out of paying for unused proprietary software
licenses.  I'm using an IBM ThinkPad X31 that I got from them.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Learn Linux and free software