[linux-elitists] Broad variety

Matthew W. Miller mwmiller@columbus.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 19:50:22 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 11:33:03PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>on Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 05:20:01PM +1100, Ben Finney (ben@benfinney.id.au) wrote:
>> On 07-Jan-2004, Brian McGroarty wrote:
>> > There are a surprising number of posters with unusual platform
>> > experience. ... Why the broad variety on the list?
>> Posit: The great majority of l-e members are here because we like
>> free software for its freedom.
>> Posit: Computer folk who have become attached to a platform and
>> watched it become completely obsolete, have battle scars to show why
>> keeping good technology proprietary is a bad thing.

I don't think I'd go that extreme in my opinion.  I'm not *especially*
bitter about proprietary systems, at least not Commodore 8-bit ones,
since there is a great deal of documentation out there about how to use
them.  (On the other hand, the hardware itself *is* a problem-- like any
hardware, the parts eventually fail, especially the
difficult-or-impossible-to-replace audio and video chips.)
	In my estimation, about the only *real* problem with Commodore
shtuff (besides the mocking laughter of fans of other systems, I mean)
is caterwauling from Tulip Computers, who own the brand name and
possibly some other 'intellectual property' and refuse to let anyone
forget it.  (I will leave it to others to point out any parallels they
can see here).
	Rather, I'd say the greatest legacy of the Commodore 8-bits is
that their very basic Basic and tight memory/disk space instilled in me
an appreciation for the minimum-necessary-complexity application: one
that does what needs to be done and gets out of the way, without being
overly fancy.  Such seems to be mostly in line with (so much as there
*is* one) the Unix philosophy.
--
Matthew W. Miller <mwmiller@columbus.rr.com> "You shouldn't trust _any_
software. Software is _at best_ a faithful but bumbling zombie servant