[linux-elitists] Laptop that doesn't suck?

Doc Searls doc@searls.com
Mon Jan 19 15:47:23 PST 2004

At 8:37 AM -0800 1/19/04, miah wrote:
>I haven't tried these people but they advertise in Linux Journal..
>
>www.emperorlinux.com
>
>They sell laptops with linux pre-installed.  Supposedly have
>everything setup (apm, wireless, modem, etc).  They also come with
>1year phone/email support.  The laptops are IBM/Sony/Dell/Sharp..
>They say they offer the latest distro's so you can pick what you
>want.
>
>Maybe somebody has ordered from them before and can let us know how they are.

I'm taking delivery on a "Toucan"
<http://emperorlinux.com/toucan.html> (IBM ThinkPad T series) to
start using this week at LinuxWorld Expo in New York. In fact, it was
supposed to be waiting for me today where I'm staying, but it isn't
here yet or I'd be playing with it now.

If any of ya'll are at LWE this week and want to help me check it
out, feel free. I'll be in and out of the Linux Journal booth, the
press room, and elsewhere around the show. My cell number is below.

Doc