[linux-elitists] Laptop that doesn't suck?

Mon Jan 19 13:36:17 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 01:39:40PM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 01:12:14PM -0800, Jason Spence wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> >In defense of NVidia: SGI owns a buttload of 3-D patents on various
> >things, and it's rather difficult to put together a hardware
> >accelerated OpenGL implementation that performs at competitive speeds
> >AND includes all the SGI_* ARB extensions without paying off SGI and
> >using the IP.  As a result, NVidia has very little choice except to
> >make some of the kernel parts of their driver closed source.  So if
> >we're going to complain to anyone, it should be SGI, not NVidia.
> >There's also another vendor that owns a bunch of IP which NVidia
> >licenses, but I can't remember their name right now.
> >
> >I'm rather happy that I have a commercial quality GLX/OpenGL
> >implementation for my favorite operating system, regardless of the
> >closed sourceness of the driver.  I already know many details of the
> >internals of their implementation and really wouldn't benefit from
> >being able to read the source.  If I have problems, I talk to their
> >engineers and they're very responsive to my problem reports.  I'm very
> >surprised you haven't developed a relationship with one of them to
> >help with situations like the one you're describing.
>
> Are those the same OpenGL patents that SGI sold to Microsoft a year or
> so ago?

Errr, I hadn't heard about that ... /me searches... Oh yeah, that.
Hrm, well the only result for "vertex programming" in the USPTO
database is 6,057,852, and it seems to be owned by HP (!).

I wonder what's going to happen.

--
 - Jason              Last known location:  1.0 miles southeast of Fremont, CA

A baby is an alimentary canal with a loud voice at one end and no
responsibility at the other.