[linux-elitists] Can we woo you first? [Was: How MS could woo me]

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Mon Jan 19 08:36:28 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 01:59:20AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 01:21:48AM +1100, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> > <quote who="Karsten M. Self">
>
> > > LTSP isn't running X remotely....
> >
> > Do you mean "remotely" as in "over a modem" or "over a LAN"? The Telecentros
> > definitely run GNOME over X via the LAN. I run GNOME apps from home at work
> > every now and then (ADSL to ISP) over compressed ssh. I'm sure there's room
> > for improvement, but it works pretty well as is.
>
> Meant to address this earlier.
>
> My error.  I'd thought LTSP locally executed apps mounted over NFS or
> such.  It's not -- it's a netbooted X terminal.

You're right in both cases.

It is a netbooted X-Terminal, but it also can (and does) locally execute
apps mounted over NFS. Sometimes they have to be recompiled to work
correctly for this special environment. You must make sure that your
"thin client" has enough RAM to keep most/all of the app resident
in local memory, ("paunchy client"?). See :

http://www.ltsp.org

(or ask me. :-) )

Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"jkinz@kinz.org" is copyright 2003.
Use is restricted. Any use is an acceptance of the offer at
http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.