[linux-elitists] Can we woo you first? [Was: How MS could woo me]

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 19 01:59:20 PST 2004

on Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 01:21:48AM +1100, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Karsten M. Self">

> > LTSP isn't running X remotely....
>
> Do you mean "remotely" as in "over a modem" or "over a LAN"? The Telecentros
> definitely run GNOME over X via the LAN. I run GNOME apps from home at work
> every now and then (ADSL to ISP) over compressed ssh. I'm sure there's room
> for improvement, but it works pretty well as is.

Meant to address this earlier.

My error.  I'd thought LTSP locally executed apps mounted over NFS or
such.  It's not -- it's a netbooted X terminal.

Peace.

    The black hat community is drooling over the possibility of a secure
    execution environment that would allow applications to run in a
    secure area which cannot be attached to via debuggers.
    - Jason Spence, on Palladium aka NGCSB aka "Trusted Computing"