[linux-elitists] WindowManagers

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 19 00:40:43 PST 2004

on Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:06:52AM -0800, Jim Richardson (warlock@eskimo.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:23:25PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> ><quote who="Jim Richardson">

> >>yeah, but frankly, the applet/application distinction is pretty silly.  At
> >>least from the Joe Sixpack direction. It just adds confusion that is not
> >>neccesary.
> >
> >Well, there is the same thing with WindowMaker dockapps and applications.
> >What we haven't done is made the interaction clear enough there. It's going
> >to take a lot of deep thinking and work. Hard stuff.
> >

> With WindowMaker, there is no distiction presented to the user really.
> All of the dockapps can be started as an application, they just reside
> within an icon. When you want one on the Dock or Clip, then you just
> drag it over there.

Moreover:  they can be run in other WMs as well.  Afterstep has the same
dock semantic and they will run as same.  Otherwise, you get a set of
small (64x64 by default), but usable, applications.

...something I see when switching between WMs on the fly, periodically.

By contrast, say, the gnotes applet wouldn't run, AFAICR, without full
GNOME panel support, including the panel.  Regardless of WM.  Pity as it
was actually one of the nicer xpostit sort of apps.

Peace.

   Verio webhosting?  Guaranteed downtime:
     http://www.dowethics.com/r/environment/freedom.html