[linux-elitists] Broad variety

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 17 23:33:03 PST 2004

on Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 05:20:01PM +1100, Ben Finney (ben@benfinney.id.au) wrote:
> On 07-Jan-2004, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> > There are a surprising number of posters with unusual platform
> > experience. In my office, it seems like you're the odd man out if you
> > ever owned anything but a Mac or a PC. The occasional renegade freak
> > might have an Apple ][ in the closet somewhere.
> >
> > Why the broad variety on the list?
>
> I didn't realise we had a variety of broads on this list.
>
> (*bdom-tssh* -- old, offensively sexist and wordplay in the one joke).
>

> Posit: The great majority of l-e members are here because we like free
> software for its freedom.
>
> Posit: Computer folk who have become attached to a platform and watched
> it become completely obsolete, have battle scars to show why keeping
> good technology proprietary is a bad thing.
>
> Analysis: May people who became attached to good, but now-obsolete,
> proprietary platforms are interested in free software for its freedom.
>
> Conclusion: Many of said people gravitate to the l-e list because of its
> focus on software freedom rather than expediency, and contribute to the
> broad platform experience you've observed.

Very well put, Ben.

My own proverbial closet includes Commodore PETs and 64s, Ataris,
TRS-80, MVS, CMS, and the usual vintages of Mac and Microsoft products.

The constant thread through this all has been flavors of Unix, starting
with BSD on teletype at the Berkeley Hall of Science, in the late 1970s,
to the half-dozen GNU/Linux boxen littering my pad today.  Realizing
that I can use what's essentially the evolution of the system I used
first heavily almost two decades ago, _without_ a lot treadmilling
(there are very few 'Nix skillsets which I've had to wholesale dump), is
key among the lessons learned.

Peace.

    - Benjamin Franklin, 1755