[linux-elitists] Anti-Internet Explorer Campaign

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Jan 15 16:22:16 PST 2004

begin Peter Whysall quotation of Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:39:34PM +0000:

> I get the warm and fuzzies hearing about how standards-compliant, Free
> software rocks. I don't get them from hearing about proprietary,
> non-standards-compliant software sucks.

There's a whole new HTML out there.  But when you go to some of the
CSS-oriented web design sites, you get "this would be really simple
and cool if we didn't have to pull lame 90s browser compatibilty
stunts out of /dev/ass just to work with a proprietary browser".
Two examples:

PNG transparency:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pngopacity/

"rollover" images without JavaScript:
http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/cssnopreloadrollovers/
http://www.fivesevensix.com/studies/ie6flicker/

If you want to encourage people to use standards-compliant
browsers, why not just develop a site that uses new HTML standards
in an attractive or useful way, and liberate yourself from the
all-too-common feeling that you have to be bug-compatible with
browsers that don't implement the standards correctly?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Learn Linux and free software