[linux-elitists] DNS speedup

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Thu Jan 15 14:53:49 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 05:35:16PM -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:

>> Rather than cluttering up the list with the files in question, I have
>> placed sanitized copies at
>>
>> <http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock/computers/nemo_named.conf>
>>
>> and
>>
>> <http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock/computers/nemo_resolv.conf
>
>Hmmm, in /etc/resolv.conf put in as the first nameserver:
>  nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
>That will tell the server to use it's own DNS first - which will let it
>used the cached entries.
>
>When you use dig to lookup and ip address the first time may take a long
>time...

Yeah, I tried this, no difference. See my other post a few secs from
this one, I don't think it's a config issue, at least of bind or resolv,
I am getting some odd results doing a strace of a lookup like host,
nslookup, etc.

Oddly enough (or maybe not) ping -c 1 host.com works as fast as you'd
expect. That uses icmp rather than udp/tcp so maybe that's where I need
to look now. Odd.

The recent (like Jan6 ) upgrade to a RH supplied patched 2.4.20 has me
curious, but I can find no evidence online of others noticing slowdowns
or breakage in this area.