[linux-elitists] DNS speedup

Jon Carnes jonc@nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 15 14:35:16 PST 2004

> Rather than cluttering up the list with the files in question, I have
> placed sanitized copies at
>
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock/computers/nemo_named.conf>
>
> and
>
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock/computers/nemo_resolv.conf

Hmmm, in /etc/resolv.conf put in as the first nameserver:
  nameserver 127.0.0.1

That will tell the server to use it's own DNS first - which will let it
used the cached entries.

When you use dig to lookup and ip address the first time may take a long
time...

;; Query time: 260 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)

But repeating the dig command should give you a query time that is
considerably shorter...

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)

> Paranoia drove me to sanitizing them, and I was uneasy with them being
> archived anyway. Don't mind me, I am just checking the fit on my new
> tinfoil hat.

Good luck - Jon Carnes