[linux-elitists] DNS speedup

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Thu Jan 15 13:33:52 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:17:45PM -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:
>You should post your named.conf file and your resolv.conf file
>
>On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 14:36, Jim Richardson wrote:
>> I have a busy server, that is running it's own copy of <spit> BIND9 that
>> I need to tweak somehow. It's really slow, and doesn't seem to cache
>> anything. Unfortunately, I can't at the moment replace it with something
>> like tinydns as it's on one of those integrated make it easy for the
>> vhosts webpanel setup things.
>>
>> Doing a simple nslookup, results in at least 1.5 seconds of delay,
>> sometimes, as much as 4 seconds per, which would be ok on an initial
>> lookup, but I get the same delay if I do the same lookup again, right
>> after the first one returns.
>>
>> Without spewing my named.conf here, are there any suggestions on where
>> to look to make sure that some sort of caching is actually going on?
>> named.conf is a bit obscure to me, so I haven't learned it as well as I
>> probably should. I have about 30 vhosts on this machine, it gets about
>> 100,000 hits a day, (not counting ad impressions, which go to a
>> different server)  as you can guess, it's pretty busy and this isn't
>> helping. Oh, if I drop the load, I don't see any improvement in DNS
>> query times.
>>
>> Thanks all.

Rather than cluttering up the list with the files in question, I have
placed sanitized copies at

<http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock/computers/nemo_named.conf>

and

<http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock/computers/nemo_resolv.conf

Paranoia drove me to sanitizing them, and I was uneasy with them being
archived anyway. Don't mind me, I am just checking the fit on my new
tinfoil hat.

Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion