[linux-elitists] DNS speedup

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Thu Jan 15 12:31:06 PST 2004

[...]
    JR> Doing a simple nslookup, results in at least 1.5 seconds of
    JR> delay, sometimes, as much as 4 seconds per, which would be ok
    JR> on an initial lookup, but I get the same delay if I do the
    JR> same lookup again, right after the first one returns. [...]

Prolly isn't a BIND problem at all.  nslookup first looks up the
details of the server it is using (forward if you give it a name,
reverse id you give it an IP) and that might be where the delay is
coing from.  Check what's in your resolv.conf for starters.  And then
try testing with dig rather than nslookup.

    JR> ... 30 vhosts on this machine, it gets about 100,000 hits a day,
    JR> (not counting ad impressions, which go to a different server)
    JR> as you can guess, it's pretty busy and this isn't helping. Oh,
    JR> if I drop the load, I don't see any improvement in DNS query
    JR> times.

That is not really high traffic for today's hardware.  Why is DNS
relevant to you at all on this machine?  Are you doing reverse
lookups on each hit?

cheers,

BM