[linux-elitists] DNS speedup

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Thu Jan 15 11:36:15 PST 2004

I have a busy server, that is running it's own copy of <spit> BIND9 that
I need to tweak somehow. It's really slow, and doesn't seem to cache
anything. Unfortunately, I can't at the moment replace it with something
like tinydns as it's on one of those integrated make it easy for the
vhosts webpanel setup things.

Doing a simple nslookup, results in at least 1.5 seconds of delay,
sometimes, as much as 4 seconds per, which would be ok on an initial
lookup, but I get the same delay if I do the same lookup again, right
after the first one returns.

Without spewing my named.conf here, are there any suggestions on where
to look to make sure that some sort of caching is actually going on?
named.conf is a bit obscure to me, so I haven't learned it as well as I
probably should. I have about 30 vhosts on this machine, it gets about
100,000 hits a day, (not counting ad impressions, which go to a
different server)  as you can guess, it's pretty busy and this isn't
helping. Oh, if I drop the load, I don't see any improvement in DNS
query times.

Thanks all.

Avoid reality at all costs.