[linux-elitists] Anti-Internet Explorer Campaign

Peter Whysall peter@whysall.net
Thu Jan 15 06:39:34 PST 2004

on Thu, Jan 15, 2004, Shlomi Fish (shlomif@iglu.org.il) wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I started an anti-MSIE campaign on my web-site:
>
> http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/no-ie/
>
> (also notice the no-IE logo and link on the side-bar)
>
> What I'm saying to users is that they should not use Internet Explorer
> anymore, and that I'm no longer going to verify that my pages work with it.
> Read the page for more information.

I must say that I personally don't like such campaigns. I don't like
negative campaigning of any kind. Don't tell me that X sucks. I'm a
grown-up; I can work that out for myself.

What I might not know is that Y is better. I think that you need to talk
less about why Internet Explorer sucks and more about why the
alternatives rock - and not "rock as in rock relative to X".

Look at http://www.mozilla.org and tell me how many times the words
"Internet Explorer" appear on that page. That's right, none.

I get the warm and fuzzies hearing about how standards-compliant, Free
software rocks. I don't get them from hearing about proprietary,
non-standards-compliant software sucks.

Make me warm and fuzzy, Shlomi.

Peter.
--