[linux-elitists] Re: vi and Emacs

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Wed Jan 14 13:29:28 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 15:11, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Greg Folkert writes:

> > > In my 20+ years of experience, people who don't grok lisp won't like
> > > emacs.  Period.
> >
> > And those that have to hand edit streamed files ... one great big long
> > line with no breaks, form feed or carriage returns ... tend to prefer
> > something else entirely, being that none of these: vi, jed, joe, gedit,
> > elvis, emacs, xemacs, word, notepad, edit, e, ed, edlin ... etc can
> > handle it either.
>
> This is not even remotely true.  22MB isn't even getting started for
> xemacs/emacs.

The big deal for it was that emacs displayed it as only tildes a few
number and letters scattered and the "@" symbol. It open the file just
fine. I could not find a mode for xemacs/emacs that displayed it
properly. I even had a "*nix is a process that runs under emacs" person
look at one of the files. He couldn't do it either.

> > Only thing that handled a 22MB streamed file with precision and a
> > somewhat clunky interface: vim in hexadecimal editor mode.
> >
> > So there it is the Winner: vim
>
> feh

Don't "feh" me young man... I use Nano :).

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net