[linux-elitists] Re: vi and Emacs

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Jan 14 06:21:50 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 14:09, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Jeremy Hankins writes:
>
> > I started using emacs for gnus, and since then I've found a few other
> > things I like emacs for.  But if I'd been forced to use it for editing
> > documents I'd never have touched it -- "stock vi" or no.  So I have to
> > agree with Aaron; calling emacs an editor is misleading.  Rather like
> > calling Gnome a window manager, actually.  ;)
>
> In my 20+ years of experience, people who don't grok lisp won't like
> emacs.  Period.

I see your point. I never grokked lisp in the true sense, but I got
comfortable enough with it that I made emacs do what I wanted (mostly
when I was using it to read my mail which was... oh dear... a WHILE
ago). If you don't customize it, there's still a lot to like, but emacs
needs a ground-up rewrite and a redesign would not hurt. Threading,
character representation models and a better plugin system would all
help.

--
Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith