[linux-elitists] good Linux distro for a n00b

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa@redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 13:47:11 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 14:35, Tom Duffy wrote:

> OK, not 100% 1337, but captive allows safe r/w NTFS.
> http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/ under Linux.

IANAL, but that looks potentially illegal (at least in the US) to use.
The author uses this page to rationalize (?) the legal implications:

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/doc/Architecture.html.pl#law

His page says "Service Pack also contains EULA (End User License
Agreement) paper disallowing any use of Service Pack outside its
original intentions." I think Microsoft would easily be able to make the
case that captive is using the Service Pack components outside of the
original intentions of Microsoft.

Of course, this is all assuming that the EULA will hold up in court,
which is entirely another issue.

I just tend to be overly paranoid about treading on thin legal ice when
the lake is filled with sharp-toothed Microsoft lawyers.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader

"The author's mathematical treatment of the conception of purpose is
novel and highly ingenious, but heretical and, so far as the present
social order is concerned, dangerous and potentially subversive. Not to
be published." -- Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"