[linux-elitists] Re: vi and Emacs

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Tue Jan 13 12:02:17 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 14:09, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Jeremy Hankins writes:
>
> > I started using emacs for gnus, and since then I've found a few other
> > things I like emacs for.  But if I'd been forced to use it for editing
> > documents I'd never have touched it -- "stock vi" or no.  So I have to
> > agree with Aaron; calling emacs an editor is misleading.  Rather like
> > calling Gnome a window manager, actually.  ;)
>
> In my 20+ years of experience, people who don't grok lisp won't like
> emacs.  Period.

And those that have to hand edit streamed files ... one great big long
line with no breaks, form feed or carriage returns ... tend to prefer
something else entirely, being that none of these: vi, jed, joe, gedit,
elvis, emacs, xemacs, word, notepad, edit, e, ed, edlin ... etc can
handle it either.

Only thing that handled a 22MB streamed file with precision and a
somewhat clunky interface: vim in hexadecimal editor mode.

So there it is the Winner: vim
--
greg@gregfolkert.net