[linux-elitists] Re: vi and Emacs

Jeremy Hankins nowan@nowan.org
Tue Jan 13 10:50:36 PST 2004

Jim Richardson <warlock@eskimo.com> writes:

> Unless of course, all you want to do, is edit files :)

Of course.  Emacs does have editing functionality, though.  It's called
viper.  :)

> I try emacs from time to time, like I said. I *want* to like it, I
> somhow feel I *should* like it. But I don't. I can use it, if that's
> all that's there. (not that I have ever been in that situation) Mind
> you, if I was stuck with "stock" vi rather than Vim or something
> similar, I'd probably feel different about Emacs :)

I started using emacs for gnus, and since then I've found a few other
things I like emacs for.  But if I'd been forced to use it for editing
documents I'd never have touched it -- "stock vi" or no.  So I have to
agree with Aaron; calling emacs an editor is misleading.  Rather like
calling Gnome a window manager, actually.  ;)

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>