[linux-elitists] Introducing Myself

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Mon Jan 12 10:25:56 PST 2004

begin  Jim Thompson  quotation:
> > Personally, I'm generally against sanitizing our language. I
> > "piss" not "urinate". I "shit" not "defecate". And the stuff that
> > comes out is "crap" not "excrement". (and now for the big one.
> > Voted #1 most dirty word in the language") Females have a "cunt"
> > not a "vagina". Without "cunt" we wouldn't have "queen" "queer"
> > "cunnilingus" and a whole bunch of other words. (I'm not sure if
> > "penis" replacing "cock" in common usage is also part of the
> > systematic replacement of words that certain people find
> > uncomfortable.)
>
> Alright you crackers, get back to work.  :-)

	And yet, that word doesn't make anyone uncomfortable.  It has
no power, and likely never really did.  Ever notice how the term
"redneck" refers to the effects of working in the field?  What other
group has its predominant slur based on honest labor?  (of course,
"cracker" refers to rather dishonest labor, and ignores the fact that
overseers were often chosen from the enslaved populations to actually
handle all the whip-cracking)

	-- Lewis Mumford

end