[linux-elitists] vi and Emacs

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Mon Jan 12 00:59:00 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:54:00AM -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:
>On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 03:42, Jim Richardson wrote:
>
>> I tried emacs, I try emacs every few months, I stick with vim. Just the
>> way it is I guess.
>
>That's a little like saying, "I tried a Nissan, I stick with my home
>stereo." Cars have radios, but one does not buy or avoid buying a car
>because of the radio, unless you simply don't care about how good or bad
>the car is in all other respects.
>
>Mind you, I am not much of an Emacs fan, but my reasons for not liking
>it are not based on its being slow (emacs was slow on 68000s, but on
>hardware from 5 years ago it screams); my preference for vi / ed / cat /
>perl / edt / edln as a text editor; or the idea that it "does too much".
>Emacs is a step beyond the simple Microsoftish IDE, attempting to absorb
>every activity into a single tool. Think of it as Gnome designed for
>ascii terminals.
>
>vi on the other hand is a fairly simple, but powerful text editor. It
>does one thing well, and that is to be applauded, but I don't think it
>can be fairly compared to a tool like Emacs.

Unless of course, all you want to do, is edit files :)

>On a daily basis, I use them both, but for very different things.

I try emacs from time to time, like I said. I *want* to like it, I
somhow feel I *should* like it. But I don't. I can use it, if that's all
that's there. (not that I have ever been in that situation)

Mind you, if I was stuck with "stock" vi rather than Vim or something
similar, I'd probably feel different about Emacs :)

If you can modify it via software, then it doesn't count as hardware.
                         -- Lionel, in the Monastery