[linux-elitists] WindowManagers

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Sun Jan 11 23:19:22 PST 2004

On 12 Jan 2004 Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 03:42, Jim Richardson wrote:
>
> > I tried emacs, I try emacs every few months, I stick with vim. Just
> > the way it is I guess.

[because, of course, there aren't enough religio-aesthetic debates here]

> vi on the other hand is a fairly simple, but powerful text editor. It
> does one thing well, and that is to be applauded, but I don't think it
> can be fairly compared to a tool like Emacs.

It occurred to me the other day that's "quilt" is a bit like the vi of
version control systems.  I mostly use emacs, but sometimes it's handy
just to fire up vi to quickly edit a file.

quilt can reasonably sit on top of a directory controlled by CVS or
something else, allowing you to keep track of your own patches without
needing to create a repository or have commit access or anything like
that.

  http://www.suse.de/~agruen/quilt.pdf

I suppose now I've said that, somebody is going to make quilt play
Towers of Hanoi.

--
Martin